At its OfSTED inspection in December 2019, Churchill Gardens Primary Academy was judged as having enough evidence of improved performance to suggest that it might be judged 'outstanding' at its next inspection.
Churchill Gardens is a primary school situated at the heart of our local community. We are proud to have been providing a high-quality education for generations of local families over many years, and we are also delighted that more and more families are travelling from further afield to join our community.
The academically rigorous, knowledge-led curriculum developed by our sponsors, Future Academies, inspires and challenges our children to achieve academic distinction. This, combined with excellent teaching, warm pastoral care and an extensive enrichment programme, ensures that our children develop into articulate, confident and courteous members of society. We benefit from superb facilities in our large Victorian building, with classes situated over three floors, and our extensive outside space, including a separate area for Nursery and Reception class.
Every adult who works at Churchill Gardens wants the very best for your child. Our aim is that every child leaves as a well-rounded high achiever in the academic subjects, in music and in sport with the skills and confidence to continue their educational journey and with memories of a happy and vibrant time at Churchill Gardens.
With best wishes from,
Mrs L Tylee
Head of School
At Churchill Gardens Academy, we proudly differentiate from other primary schools in the following areas:
1. We believe in a model of subject-specific teaching at Key Stage 2: our teachers have a high-level degree in their area of expertise.
2. We do not teach to the test: our subject-specialist teachers have deep and broad knowledge about their discipline, and knowledge is prioritised for knowledge’s sake, rather than for use in an examination.
3. We believe in pitching lessons high so that our most able students are never bored, whilst supporting our less able students to make steady progress.
4. We have high expectations for all children, in behaviour and attainment: this results in outstanding progress.
5. We teach a traditional curriculum, with a focus on ‘depth through breadth’ and didactic teaching, where the teacher is the expert. Through our Curriculum Centre, we are able to give extensive thought to what students are learning, making use of cutting-edge educational research into cognitive science.
6. We teach our students the best that has been thought and said, giving them access to high-quality, classic texts, and lessons from subject experts. We do not, like many primaries, focus on Maths and English exclusively, but dedicate time to discrete subject teaching. Our students study Ancient History, British History, Latin and Geography in great depth, and this is reflected in the amount of lesson time dedicated to these subjects (KS2 students have five History lessons and two Latin lessons per week).
7. We believe that discrete subject teaching, with the inclusion of such traditional subjects as Latin and Ancient History, can be an emancipatory force, opening doors of opportunity to our students.
8. We focus on developing students’ vocabulary and grammar, not purely in their English lessons but in the delivery of all subjects.
We strive to give our students a rigorously academic education that puts them on a level playing field with their independently-educated peers. The educational experience that we provide to our students is on a par with anything offered by the private sector, but is accessible to all, regardless of background. Our aims are to broaden our students’ horizons, so that the students who leave us are well-rounded and at ease in any situation.
Ranelagh Road, London, SWIV 3EU
Tel: 020 7798 2050